VOND is established as an act of solidarity with the women and the youth of Darfur, a war-devastated, remote and poor part of Sudan. We hope to alleviate some of their sufferings and support the women organizations which strive to empower them. We want to contribute to the promotion and realization of peace for the people of Darfur, and to the development of the region. VOND also aims to unite the people of Darfur with Sudanese people living in Sudan and the Netherlands. With VOND, we want to create a platform for progress and change, peace and reconciliation.
We empower women leaders from Darfur, that are living in Darfur, Khartoum or the Netherlands. We provide them with the training, tools and network they need to be able to rebuild and develop the Darfurian society and economy. We work with the people rather than for the people, based on their own choices and preferences. We stimulate and support women leaders to realize their own ideals by their own effort. VOND is actively participating within Dutch society. We are a non-profit, non-governmental and non-political civil society organization.
Our objectives are:
- To empower the people of Darfur, especially the women and youth.
- To advocate for peace and reconciliation among the people of Darfur based on a culture of peace and peaceful conflict resolution.
- To increase awareness in the Netherlands on the precarious life-threatening conditions due to the on-going civil war in Darfur.
- To promote the implementation of UNSCR1325 on participation of women in peace negotiations and peace building.
- To intensify social and cultural engagement between Darfurian women living in the Netherlands and women living in Sudan and Darfur.
What we do
- We train women leaders in Darfur and coach their organizations.
- We participate and cooperate within the Dutch society with the National Action Plan on resolution 1325
- We support activities and initiatives of women organizations in Darfur.
- We promote social and cultural activities in the Netherlands.
- We help migrant women and children with effective integration through advising and coaching.
Our name VOND is short for Vrouwen Organisatie Nederland-Darfur (The Netherlands-Darfur Women Foundation). VOND was established in March 2005 by a group of Darfurian women living in The Netherlands.
Who we are
The executive board of VOND is composed of five persons, working on voluntary basis:
Chair: Mrs. Rina Teeuwen-van der Ende
Treasurer: Mr. Abdelrahman Abdelgabar
Board Member: Mrs. Elsa Scholte
Board Member: Mrs. Prof. dr. Karin Willemse
Board Member: Mrs. Mekka Abdelgabar